AW: characterset/umlauts

First of all, thanks for your reply!

ü => ü

Looks like your system stores UTF8 and your browser displays something
e, but I don’t think my browser is the problem here

Try setting character set on your intranet. You can test first by
picking the character set manually in your browser (View -> Character
Coding in Firefox). I suspect you should try UTF8.

That’s why 2 characters are displayed, but I dont think my browser is the problem, but I tried it and

If this works, you can change the default character set by tweaking the
Content-Type http header in your intranet script or adding a meta tag in
the html code (the head part)

My test-file’s source looks like this

Tüüäüst

which gets displayed

Tü���st

which is not the same as before, but still not the correct. I still think my problem could be solved somewhere on the server/scripts/components but I’m to mixed up of that charset-stuff -.-

thanks anyway!

My test-file’s source looks like this

Tüüäüst

which gets displayed

Tü���st

Which character set does your editor use when saving the file? You see,
the problem might be that your editor stores Latin-1 and SQL stores and
returns UTF8.

Try telling the editor to write UTF8. At least kwrite lets you pick the
character set to use in the save dialog.

which is not the same as before, but still not the correct. I still
think my problem could be solved somewhere on the server/scripts/components
but I’m to mixed up of that charset-stuff -.-

Out of curiosity, which operating system are you using? I’m having
character set prolems on my SuSE Linux Enterprise 9 box but I’m not
going to look into it as it is merely a test platform and will be
decommisioned shortly.

Best of luck. Character set problems are nasty. Can’t really trust
anything but a hex editor if things get really hairy…

Mikko Lipasti
Polarcom Consulting Oy
040 - 5590 988

signature.asc (189 Bytes)

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I started to build a small intranet around our RT-system and have a
problem with special characters. In fact my RT displays stuff like
umlauts
corret, but my intranet (running on the same virtual-host, it’s even
located in the same document root, so I don’t get it…) displays those
characters in weird sequences like

ü => ü

It’s not very clear to me what “build an intranet around RT” means, but
what you are seeing is the UTF-8 encoding of umlaut characters rendered
as Latin-1/ISO-8859-1. Make sure the procedure generating HTML is
specifing UTF-8 as Content-Encoding, or otherwise convert the text
accordingly.

Angelo Turetta

Just a couple of sites build around my RT-Installation. I don’t have a clue where to look for the settings. IMHO utf8 is used, since it’s in the html-header and the apache default charset…

But I also found my problem. The dbd::mysql quote function ripped the utf8 characters into two chars… Thx for the help anyway!

cheers
-fe