Avoid creating new tickets by email on a queue

Hi all,

on RT 4. i have several queues. For some of them, i want to disable creating of new tickets by mail, rejecting mail without ticketid.

It’s possibile?

I’ve already disable, for Everyone, the right to create new ticket but seems that doesn’t work.

Any hint really apprecitated.

Not 100% certain on this, but maybe this gives you a clue to start unpicking things.

Looking at our 4.4.2 installation, mailgate seems to add an X-RT-Interface: Email header to the contents of emails that are created. I think you could modify the OnCreate condition, or a Scrip that uses it to check for that header and the queue and use a template to tell the user their ticket has been rejected.

I hope that gives you a starting point.

Simon.

Hi,

Do you want to notify the requestors that their ticket was rejected? In case you don’t want to notify them, you can just filter the emails with mailbox rules and move them to a folder that is not pulling emails in the RT mail gateway.

How are you passing email to rt? How are you deciding which queue gets the email?

We’ve done a couple of different ways; in one, we’ve had specific email aliases for some queues, with the aliases sending to rt-mailgate with “–queue ThatQueue”.

If you’re doing something similar to that, you could just disable that alias; the email server won’t know what the recipient is and would reject it.

In the other, we’re using wsgetmail, with mail in certain folders in the source mailbox going to their own queues, with the same “–queue OtherQueue” in the rt-mailgate options.

This option requires an individual cron entry for each folder, so you’d prevent the Ticket creation by disabling or deleting that cron entry. You’d have to work with a filter or rule at the source mailbox to reject the mail.

I use the milter protocol to reject a user’s request via MUA if the mail subject does not have the correct format. Specifically milter-regex + postfix MTA. But I will migrate to spamassasin + spamass-milter due to header encoding UTF-8, etc. It does not reject requests sent via RT web UI.