Another smrsh/rt-mailgate EX_TEMPFAIL problem

This seems to be a perennial problem. I see lots of discussion, but
few answers. Presumably folks have gotten this to work.

I’m running:

RHEL3
sendmail-cf-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.1
sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.1
httpd-2.0.46-44.ent
MySQL-devel-4.1.9-0
MySQL-bench-4.1.9-0
MySQL-server-4.1.9-0
MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.9-0
MySQL-client-4.1.9-0
MySQL-shared-4.1.9-0
Rt-3.4.0

I have an /etc/smrsh directory, and I’ve symlinked to
/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate (with …/… notation just to be sure, as that’s
how mailman was linked).

/etc/aliases has entries like this:
rfpo-support: “|rt-mailgate --queue rfpo-support --action correspond
–debug --url https://72.3.146.198/rt/

Mail sent to the server gets delivered, but sits in the queue.
/var/log/maillog shows:

Mar 4 12:51:23 ws1 sendmail[12199]: j24HpNnY012198: to="|rt-mailgate
–queue rfpo-support --action correspond --debug --url
https://72.3.146.198/rt/", ctladdr=rfpo-support@ws1.uscar.org (8/0),
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=30544, dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

Running “sendmail -q” doesn’t flush the queue.

I have tried adjusting the sendmail settings in RT_SiteConfig to use
"sendmail" instead of “sendmailwrapper” with the same results.

Here is my RT_SiteConfig.pm (sans database connection details):

$Timezone = ‘US/Eastern’;
$WebPath = “/rt”;
$WebBaseURL = “https://72.3.146.198”;
Set($rtname , “ws1.uscar.org”);
Set($Organization , “uscar.org”);
Set($MailCommand , ‘sendmail’);
Set($SendmailArguments,"-oi -t -ODeliveryMode=b -OErrorMode=m");
Set($SendmailPath , “/usr/sbin/sendmail”);
Set($LogToSyslog , ‘debug’);
Set($LogToScreen , ‘error’);
Set($LogToFile , ‘debug’ );
Set($LogDir, ‘/opt/rt3/var/log’);
Set($LogToFileNamed , “rt.log”); #log to rt.log
@LogToSyslogConf = ( ‘debug’ ) unless (@LogToSyslogConf);

What gives?

-brian

Brian W. Spolarich ~ IT Consultant ~ USCAR ~ +1-248-223-9044

Brian W. Spolarich wrote:

This seems to be a perennial problem. I see lots of
discussion, but few answers. Presumably folks have gotten
this to work.

Mar 4 12:51:23 ws1 sendmail[12199]: j24HpNnY012198:
to="|rt-mailgate --queue rfpo-support --action correspond
–debug --url https://72.3.146.198/rt/",
ctladdr=rfpo-support@ws1.uscar.org (8/0), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=30544, dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

Turns out in my case that I was having this problem:

501 Protocol scheme ‘https’ is not supported (Crypt::SSLeay not
installed) This is /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate exiting because of an
undefined server error at /etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate line 147, <> chunk 1.
"|/etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate --queue rfpo-support --action correspond
–debug --url https://72.3.146.198/rt/"… Deferred: prog mailer
(/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until
message is 5 days old

Installing Crypt::SSLeay fixed the problem.

I didn’t see this in any of the logging I turned on, as apaprently
rt-mailgate doesn’t use any of the logging options that one specifies in
RT_SiteConfig.pm.

-bws