Adding new users with API 2.0 gives 400 error

I am using Python3 Requests to talk to the 2.0 API in RT v5.0 to add assets. Mostly no problems but I seem to have come unstuck at adding new users. I thought I could POST a JSON structure:

postdata={
    "Name":"user.name@email.adr",
    "EmailAddress":"user.name@email.adr",
    "RealName":"User Name"
}

and then

requests.post("https://myRTsite/REST/2.0/user?token=<tokenText...>",json=postdata

<tokenText…> is my auth token from the system
and requests makes a good guess at the correct header - all the other posts work.

but all I get is a 400 status response and {“message”:“Could not create user”}

I just need the absolute basic user - like that created by the system for people submitting tickets.

Unfortunately the docs don’t give an example of creating a user in this way and I have searched all the usual places. The account with the token is able to create users via the console so I can’t see that it is a rights issue. All I can assume is that I am missing a crucial bit of information.

I’d be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Do the Apache logs say why the user couldn’t be created?

Yes they do - thanks for the tip. The issue seems to be that including the token in the path also then includes it as a field in the MySQL insert - returning the error in the apache log:

Unknown column ‘token’ in ‘field list’

Which leads me to believe that I need to authenticate in a different way so that there is nothing untoward in the path. I have tried the header method - both in Python and trying the curl example given in the documentation. Neither works as I get 401 Unauthorized (having also tried resetting the token to make sure). Since the curl example fails as well I suspect the issue is to do with the system configuration somewhere - https redirects in Apache maybe.

Because the only way I can get authentication to work is by including the token in the path, the solution that seems to work - but it’s a hack - is to add to:

/opt/rt5/lib/RT/User.pm

delete $args{'token'};
just after:
delete $args{'Disabled'};

This removes “token” from the list and allows the table insert to work as desired. Users can still be created with the console create - tests okay. The other place there could be an issue is the auto-creation of users when they submit tickets. I am not using a production system (no inbound email) so, until I get to the production stage, I won’t know if this is going to be an issue (I hope not).

Anyway, thanks for the tip. It pointed me in the right direction and allowed me to find a fix.

Kenn

On mobile, but if you check the web deployment docs page there is a note about token auth. You need to add something to your Apache config

That is it - thanks. I added:

SetEnvIf Authorization "(.*)" HTTP_AUTHORIZATION=$1

to the apache site config (sites-enabled/…) Restarted apache and now I can authorise using headers. The REST 2.0 docs probably need a bit of an update to mention this.

However, I should have read the manual more thoroughly.

Thanks again for your help.

Kenn