Install RT4, error free!

Hello Community!

I’ve been doing some research towards doing a fresh install of RT4. My goal is to get RTIR deployed for my SOC, (which consists of 2 people), and the ticket system at work is scary bad, so there is no way I’m going to even consider using it.

Seems as if whatever distribution you chose to go with, there are going to be problems.

IS there any advice towards installing RT4 when it comes to choosing a distribution?

1. I am going to be installing RT4 on a VSphere Server
  2. Currently I have Ubuntu Server 18.04 installed, with Apache2 running.

Does Apache 2 have fastCGI pre-installed within it?

*I’m not familiar with installing an older version of software, so I will need to read-up on this.
*I see that MariaDB, is currently at Version 10.3, will this work alongside RT4? Or will I need to install 10.1 somehow.

Can I avoid having to go through all of this trouble by using a different distribution?
I have seen guides towards installing on Ubuntu 13, I was actually going to go with this one instead of 18.04.

I’m sure I’ll be able to weezle through all of the errors and problems using this very powerful forum platform, but my questions lie above before I begin on MONDAY.

Thank you for any advice, replies.

My notes for an Ubuntu 16 install:

sudo apt-get install libgd-dev libgraphviz-dev graphviz autoconf apache2 libapache2-mod-fcgid slapd ldap-utils expat openssl libssl-dev

Install standalone Perl for RT:

$ wget http://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/perl-5.26.3.tar.gz
   $ tar -xzf perl-5.26.3.tar.gz
   $ cd perl-5.26.3
   $ sudo ./Configure -des -Dprefix=/opt/perl5
   $ sudo make
   $ sudo make test
   $ sudo make install

Use new Perl install:

$ export PATH=/opt/perl5/bin:$PATH
 $ which Perl

Install meta cpan:

$ wget https://cpan.metacpan.org/authors/id/M/MI/MIYAGAWA/App-cpanminus-1.7044.tar.gz
   $ /opt/perl5/bin/perl Makefile.PL
   $ make
   $ make test
   $ sudo make install

Tell RT to use metacpan:

$ export RT_FIX_DEPS_CMD='/opt/perl5/bin/cpanm --sudo --notest'

Configure RT:

./configure --enable-gd --enable-graphviz 

Then you can run make fixdeps

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Hi, I’m trying to follow your steps, but I’m having trouble with “/opt/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL”. I didn’t have that path so I used “/opt/perl5/bin/perl Makefile.PL”, but I get “Can’t open perl script ‘Makefile.pl’: No such file or directory.”

Any advice for me? I’m using Ubuntu18.04 not 16.04. This is my first time installing RT and I’m struggling. I’m hoping your notes will help me get it setup.

Download the .tar.gz for RT4 in your root/home directory.
Do the install there-
Make sure you use SUDO for everything.
sudo make fixdeps should sort you out too.
It will make a copy of it in /opt/rt4

Sorry for the newbie question, so it isn’t necessary run “/opt/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL”?

so I used “/opt/perl5/bin/perl Makefile.PL”

There is a typo in my notes, perl5 is correct for the directory name

I get “Can’t open perl script ‘Makefile.pl’: No such file or directory.”

This means you are not in the correct directory containing the Makefile you want to use: cd App-cpanminus-1.7044 I left that step out in the instructions.

The reason for installing this Perl is to have a standalone Perl from the system Perl so that nothing breaks. Before running any Perl commands it is good to run which perl to ensure you are using the one you are installing now.

Godspeed. Installing RT4 was hell.

1 Like

True that, anyone can hire me to install it for them LOL

1 Like

Do you know why your fix works? Your post says how, but not why. Do you remember or have notes for why installing perl standalone mattered?

I just put my install steps, what error are you seeing that this fixed?

why installing perl standalone mattered?

It is good practice since many things use the system Perl if I will be changing a Perl for RT I don’t want to mess up something else on my Linux box that was using the same Perl

I did not use your directions. I do not have a working install of 4.4 yet. I got 4.2 working on Ubuntu 18.04 from apt with info from a bug report to the debian bugs list that said to replace libjson-xs-perl with libcpanel-json-xs-perl.

That makes sense. In my case the only purpose of the linux install is to run RT, so I would rather have everything auto updated, and not have multiple installs.
Thanks again!

I did exactly this but make fixdeps did not work, most of the dependencies failed. Did you have to follow knations directions as well?

make fixdeps fixes the Perl dependencies, usually you need to install some OS packages first so that the Perl packages can successfully install. In my example the packages I needed where:

sudo apt-get install libgd-dev libgraphviz-dev graphviz autoconf apache2 libapache2-mod-fcgid slapd ldap-utils expat openssl libssl-dev

The point of make fixdeps is to fix the perl dependencies, isn’t it?

README - RT 4.4.4 Documentation - Best Practical says you need:
1: Perl 5.10.1 or later
2: A supported SQL database
3: Apache version 1.3.x or 2.x or another webserver with FastCGI support
4: Various and sundry perl modules

Regarding point 4:

A tool included with RT takes care of the installation of most
of these automatically during the install process.

You say:

but you do not list perl (I guess because you install it stand alone) or a database, and lots of the packages you list have nothing to do with perl libraries or RT for that matter. That is great if it works but I do not understand why. Can you clarify?

Those are just my install steps, they aren’t the same for every install. The Ubuntu deps that I installed were for things like Apache, RT Graphs (GD and Graphviz packages), ldap auth, SSL. Some of the Perl dependencies depends on these like the Perl GD module needs the Ubuntu GD package to install.

iircc I installed MariaDB from source but that wasn’t in the notes that I pasted earlier in this thread.

Thanks for the info.

and don’t forget for gcc :slight_smile: It’s not installed by default in some system setups.

Well but then you need to adjust all the programs using perl to the new path. Just exporting the path for root is not sufficient. For example you need than to compile Apache mod-perl to use the local perl and can not use the system package. I don’t know if fcgi you are using has the same problem or not. I was using standalone perl for a while but then decided to abandon it and use the system one. But have all perl libraries local rather than from distribution packages.

Well but then you need to adjust all the programs using perl to the new path. Just exporting the path for root is not sufficient. For example you need than to compile Apache mod-perl to use the local perl and can not use the system package. I don’t know if fcgi you are using has the same problem or not. I was using standalone perl for a while but then decided to abandon it and use the system one. But have all perl libraries local rather than from distribution packages.

In my practice I only configured RT to use the standalone Perl and didn’t need to touch anything else like fcgid. So long as the Perl in your path is your standalone when you run your ./configure line RT will add that Perl to the top shebang line of files like sbin/rt-server. If you write a standalone script that uses some RT functionality then you will most likely need to point it to use this the standalone Perl as well