What to exclude from auto-updates

Having spent a harrowing time recovering my RT install from the willful vagaries of CentOS’s yum updates* I’d now like to never have to do that again.

To this end, can anyone suggest which packages I should not allow to be updated through yum/rpm , or packages that I should only update through cpan?

Many thanks,

Gareth

• Apache wouldn’t load following updates, but that was easily fixed by updating File::Temp in cpan. It then however left me in the state of not running RT and instead trying to download a blank file. This was finally fixed by pulling all my hair out, crying in a corner, and finally deleting /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm from disk & reinstalling Scalar::Util from cpan.

Lots of people will differ, but I like to set up things like this:

yum (or apt-get, or whatever) gets full control over the system.

Everything I use in production, however, uses binaries (and associated libraries) I build from source. I have lots of experience building all the stuff I need from source, so it is not a problem for me.

For example, sometimes I do it under /home/simple or /opt and I install my version of perl and perl libraries, httpd, mod_perl, mod_ssl, my Pg database, and, for this use case, RT.

I install all those packages to /opt or /home/simple so there is a /opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/share, etc.

Josh Narins

Director of Application Development
SeniorBridge
845 Third Ave
7th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Tel: (212) 994-6194
Fax: (212) 994-4260
Mobile: (917) 488-6248
jnarins@seniorbridge.com
seniorbridge.comhttp://www.seniorbridge.com/

[http://www.seniorbridge.com/images/seniorbridgedisclaimerTAG.gif]

SeniorBridge Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this email message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email by an unintended or mistaken recipient is strictly prohibited. In said event, kindly reply to the sender and destroy all entries of this message and any attachments from your system. Thank you.From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Gareth Tupper
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:31 AM
To: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] What to exclude from auto-updates

Having spent a harrowing time recovering my RT install from the willful vagaries of CentOS’s yum updates* I’d now like to never have to do that again.

To this end, can anyone suggest which packages I should not allow to be updated through yum/rpm , or packages that I should only update through cpan?

Many thanks,

Gareth

• Apache wouldn’t load following updates, but that was easily fixed by updating File::Temp in cpan. It then however left me in the state of not running RT and instead trying to download a blank file. This was finally fixed by pulling all my hair out, crying in a corner, and finally deleting /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Scalar/Util.pm from disk & reinstalling Scalar::Util from cpan.

Exclude Scalar::Utils and File::Temp.

Regards, Ruslan. From phone.

написал:

Having spent a harrowing time recovering my RT install from the willful
vagaries of CentOS’s yum updates* I’d now like to never have to do that
again.

To this end, can anyone suggest which packages I should not allow to be
updated through yum/rpm , or packages that I should only update through
cpan?

Many thanks,

Gareth

• Apache wouldn’t load following updates, but that was easily fixed by