Weird Slowness on Ticket Reply's

Hello,

I installed RT about a month ago and have noted some strange behavior which I am trying to
resolve.

I have noticed that my RT installation is extremely slow when sending a “Response to requesters”
in the “Resolve” form. I have noticed this same slowness when sending a reply without ticket
history. The delay is at least one minute. I ran a tail on the web server logs to see what the
hangup was, but the log is not being updated at the time I hit the submit button…

In the instances where things are slow, it seems as if the browser is spending an inordinate
amount of time doing something. In the browser status window, I do see the “Connected to…”
message.

I ran a packet trace to see if anything was actually coming from the browser when I hit the
submit button.

I did see a HTTP POST request at the time I hit the submit button. There was one additional
packet after that sent to the web server. What followed was a lag of about 90 seconds. Then
the web server log updated and I got the response back to my browser.

Other observations:
Using the “Comment” function works fine. No slowness
Using the “Reply” function works fine as long as “Comment not sent to requesters” is selected.
Using the “Reply” function works fine if I am responding to an existing comment or reply.
Using the “Resolve” function works fine as long as “Comment not sent to requesters” is selected.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before?
Does anyone have any suggestion on what I could do to further narrow down what is causing the lag?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Patton
Pixim Inc.
Sr. Systems Administrator
Phone 650 605-1111
Cell 650 224-0739
Fax 650 934-0560
e-mail kpatton@pixim.com

Hello,

I had not tries the sendmail wrapper as you had suggested, but I did make another change that
helped greatly.

I change the $MailCommand = ‘sendmail’;

to

$MailCommand = ‘sendmailpipe’;

And updated the $SendmailArguments=“-oit” as well as $SendmailPath = “/usr/sbin/sendmail”;;

Now things are quite snappy. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the suggestion,

KirkOn Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 01:02:51PM -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

Here’s an idea.

Replace your sendmail binary with a script htat just logs when it was called, and
with what arguments, and then execs “sendmail.real”, to actually deliver the message.

Then you can tail that log, POST your data, see the POST hit the server, milliseconds later
see the sendmail get called. If it does, and then there’s a delay, you can narrow down where to
look.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 12:23:10PM -0700, Kirk Patton x111 wrote:

Thanks for thinking about the problem. I am hoping someone come up with a
likely cause or gets me to consider something I have missed.

Thanks again,
Kirk

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 12:22:16PM -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

Well, you have a point. I don’t know.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:54:08AM -0700, Kirk Patton x111 wrote:

Possible, but why wouldn’t I get the same slowness for all mail related activities?

If I use the reply that includes some original e-mail of the ticket requestor, it seems to
work fine.

Thanks,
Kirk

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 11:59:41AM -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

Almost sounds like DNS/sendmail delays, rather than an actual delay in RT.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 07:45:19AM -0700, Kirk Patton x111 wrote:

Hello,

I installed RT about a month ago and have noted some strange behavior which I am trying to
resolve.

I have noticed that my RT installation is extremely slow when sending a “Response to requesters”
in the “Resolve” form. I have noticed this same slowness when sending a reply without ticket
history. The delay is at least one minute. I ran a tail on the web server logs to see what the
hangup was, but the log is not being updated at the time I hit the submit button…

In the instances where things are slow, it seems as if the browser is spending an inordinate
amount of time doing something. In the browser status window, I do see the “Connected to…”
message.

I ran a packet trace to see if anything was actually coming from the browser when I hit the
submit button.

I did see a HTTP POST request at the time I hit the submit button. There was one additional
packet after that sent to the web server. What followed was a lag of about 90 seconds. Then
the web server log updated and I got the response back to my browser.

Other observations:
Using the “Comment” function works fine. No slowness
Using the “Reply” function works fine as long as “Comment not sent to requesters” is selected.
Using the “Reply” function works fine if I am responding to an existing comment or reply.
Using the “Resolve” function works fine as long as “Comment not sent to requesters” is selected.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before?
Does anyone have any suggestion on what I could do to further narrow down what is causing the lag?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Patton
Pixim Inc.
Sr. Systems Administrator
Phone 650 605-1111
Cell 650 224-0739
Fax 650 934-0560
e-mail kpatton@pixim.com

rt-users mailing list
rt-users@lists.fsck.com