Ticket history view: toggle all, comments / correspondence

Hi,

We hope to replace an ancient, homegrown ticketing system with RT. There is a feature in the old system that my boss hopes is available in RT. This is the idea of a “worklog”. Not every queue or ticket will require such a thing. It might be possible that the “Comments” in RT will suffice. Is it possible to look a ticket’s History and see ONLY the comments? It doesn’t look like it but I have missed other obvious stuff recently.

I have seen the History Filter and Brief History extensions but I do not see how they work really. I am not sure they really apply here. I looked at creating a custom Search that would perhaps display the concatenated comment thread for each ticked in a queue but how to do that was not obvious

Basically is it possible to toggle the History view for a tickets and see all the correspondence + comments; or only the correspondence; or only the comments?

Hi,

We hope to replace an ancient, homegrown ticketing system with RT. There is a feature in the old system that my boss hopes is available in RT. This is the idea of a “worklog”. Not every queue or ticket will require such a thing. It might be possible that the “Comments” in RT will suffice. Is it possible to look a ticket’s History and see ONLY the comments? It doesn’t look like it but I have missed other obvious stuff recently.

I have seen the History Filter and Brief History extensions but I do not see how they work really. I am not sure they really apply here. I looked at creating a custom Search that would perhaps display the concatenated comment thread for each ticked in a queue but how to do that was not obvious

Basically is it possible to toggle the History view for a tickets and see all the correspondence + comments; or only the correspondence; or only the comments?

Hi Dean,

I would take a look at the code for:

Show all quoted text — Show full headers

for the ticket display page. Either add something similar as a local mod
or re-purpose an existing toggle for your use. We did this in an earlier
version to allow the ticket display to filter the meta-data changes out
of the history display to speed up rendering. That functionality was added
to the base system in more recent releases, but the changes were quite
simple.

Regards,
Ken

The RT::Extension::HistoryFilter will do what you want. I use that in
it’s default config to minimize the noise shown in the main ticket
history. All other things e.g Custom Field Changes are only viewable by
the History Tab.

Works really well.

Regards,

AaronOn Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM Karres, Dean karres@illinois.edu wrote:

Hi,

We hope to replace an ancient, homegrown ticketing system with RT. There
is a feature in the old system that my boss hopes is available in RT. This
is the idea of a “worklog”. Not every queue or ticket will require such a
thing. It might be possible that the “Comments” in RT will suffice. Is it
possible to look a ticket’s History and see ONLY the comments? It doesn’t
look like it but I have missed other obvious stuff recently.

I have seen the History Filter and Brief History extensions but I do not
see how they work really. I am not sure they really apply here. I looked
at creating a custom Search that would perhaps display the concatenated
comment thread for each ticked in a queue but how to do that was not
obvious Basically is it possible to toggle the History view for a
tickets and see all the correspondence + comments; or only the
correspondence; or only the comments?

Thanks to all,

I was confused by the documentation. I was expecting to see some sort of toggle controls on the various ticket history displays that would expand/collapse or show/hide the various elements in the display. It is now clear that this is a user preference change.

Cheers