SelfService Help

Good afternoon,

We are in the process of rolling out RT for our organization, and I had a
couple of questions. We would like to restrict access to limit SPAM
(although I know the SpamAssassin can run on top of it too) in the following
way: internal users would have non-staff accounts that would allow them to
email in and open tickets that way. External requestors (ie, those with
emails not set up as users) would need to submit requests using a web form.
It is setting up this form that I need help with. I have read that there
exists something called SelfService which might help me with this, but I’m
unsure how to set it up. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Apologies if this has been covered; I can’t get any search results from the
archive.

Thanks,
Ben

/*-----------------------
Benjamin J. Fineman
System Administrator
Internet2

3025 Boardwalk, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

bfineman@internet2.edu
http://www.internet2.edu

734.352.4975 (voice)
734.709.5694 (mobile)
734.913.4255 (fax)
-----------------------*/

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?SelfService
or use direct URL to look at it
http://your.rt.com/path/to/rt/SelfService

Ben Fineman wrote:

Thanks for your response. I had actually found that Wiki entry before, but I
wasn’t able to figure out much from it. I tried the address you sent me, but
perhaps I am just missing something. Our RT lives at the root of our host
machine’s web directory, so the address is simply “http://our.rt.com/”. If I
go to “http://our.rt.com/SelfService/” it just brings up what appears to be
the normal login screen. Is there something else I need to configure? Is
there a special guest username and password I can use here?

Thanks,
BenFrom: Ruslan U. Zakirov [mailto:cubic@acronis.ru]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 2:24 AM
To: bfineman@internet2.edu
Cc: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] SelfService Help

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?SelfService
or use direct URL to look at it
http://your.rt.com/path/to/rt/SelfService

Ben Fineman wrote:

Good afternoon,

We are in the process of rolling out RT for our organization, and I had a
couple of questions. We would like to restrict access to limit SPAM
(although I know the SpamAssassin can run on top of it too) in the
following
way: internal users would have non-staff accounts that would allow them to
email in and open tickets that way. External requestors (ie, those with
emails not set up as users) would need to submit requests using a web
form.
It is setting up this form that I need help with. I have read that there
exists something called SelfService which might help me with this, but I’m
unsure how to set it up. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Apologies if this has been covered; I can’t get any search results from
the
archive.

Thanks,
Ben

/*-----------------------
Benjamin J. Fineman
System Administrator
Internet2

3025 Boardwalk, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

bfineman@internet2.edu
http://www.internet2.edu

734.352.4975 (voice)
734.709.5694 (mobile)
734.913.4255 (fax)
-----------------------*/


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

If I
go to “http://our.rt.com/SelfService/” it just brings up what appears
to be
the normal login screen. Is there something else I need to configure?
Is
there a special guest username and password I can use here?

If an unprivileged user logs in, he is taken to the SelfService.
Try logging into Your rt instance and append SelfService to Your URL.

You can authenticate Your unprivileged users via RT after You set a
password for them or have them authenticate via apache (generally more
flexible, and needs some work on Your side).

Regards,
Harald

Thanks, Harald. Added to http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?SelfService
Best regards. Ruslan.
Harald Wagener wrote:

Ah, thank you, I think I am beginning to understand. So, to use SelfService
the Unprivileged user must log in to RT. To log in to RT, the user must have
an account set up, even if it is Unprivileged. So, SelfService is NOT a
solution where an anonymous user who is not in our system could log in to
submit a request. Correct? Or am I still missing something?

Thanks,
BenFrom: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Harald
Wagener
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 12:07 PM
To: 'rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com’
Subject: Re: [rt-users] SelfService Help

If I
go to “http://our.rt.com/SelfService/” it just brings up what appears
to be
the normal login screen. Is there something else I need to configure?
Is
there a special guest username and password I can use here?

If an unprivileged user logs in, he is taken to the SelfService.
Try logging into Your rt instance and append SelfService to Your URL.

You can authenticate Your unprivileged users via RT after You set a
password for them or have them authenticate via apache (generally more
flexible, and needs some work on Your side).

Regards,
Harald

http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Be sure to check out the RT wiki at http://wiki.bestpractical.com

Ben Fineman wrote:

Ah, thank you, I think I am beginning to understand. So, to use SelfService
the Unprivileged user must log in to RT. To log in to RT, the user must have
an account set up, even if it is Unprivileged. So, SelfService is NOT a
solution where an anonymous user who is not in our system could log in to
submit a request. Correct? Or am I still missing something?
Correct, but…

You can share one account ‘guest/guest’ and add note on login page and
give link ‘http://your.rt.com/?user=guest&pass=guest’ to users.

You can write register page and password reminder then share it with
comunity :slight_smile:

See also
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?AutogeneratedPassword

Ben Fineman wrote:

Thanks for your response. I had actually found that Wiki entry before, but I
wasn’t able to figure out much from it. I tried the address you sent me, but
perhaps I am just missing something. Our RT lives at the root of our host
machine’s web directory, so the address is simply “http://our.rt.com/”. If I
go to “http://our.rt.com/SelfService/” it just brings up what appears to be
the normal login screen. Is there something else I need to configure? Is
there a special guest username and password I can use here?
You should have account. ‘Unprivileged’ doesn’t mean “acountless”.
See also
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?Unprivileged

As I said you can create unpriveleged user ‘guest’ and share it with
your customers, something like
http://rt3.fsck.com/?user=guest&pass=guest