Rtldapimport usage

Hi,

I’m running RT-4.2.5.

I am in the central IT group in a large facility at a large university. The facility has a “helpdesk” and we want to replace the homegrown ticketing system with RT. I have a test platform on which I have RT installed and configured to allow anyone in the Campus AD to login as an unprivileged user.

The facility IT group has a number of “queues” in the existing ticketing system that I have already created in RT. The IT group also has a number of facility level AD groups for various things. For example, there is an AD group whose members are allowed to use the existing ticketing system. There are several other special purpose AD groups just for the IT group.

I have figured out how to add the helpdesk worker’s AD group using rtldapimport. But adding the group didn’t add its members. I need to be careful when adding users as this is a large university and I do NOT want to add tens of thousands of accounts by accident.

Are there examples of using rtldapimport to import specific groups and just the group members?

Dean…K…

Are there examples of using rtldapimport to import specific groups and just the
group members?

You write the filter argument for groups/users (usually filtering on
group name) and run rtldapimport with --debug and NOT with --import
and you can easily see what RT would import.

BTW, a number of universities regularly import tens of thousands of
users into RT from their LDAP without issue. In fact we recommend it
because it means autocomplete in RT user fields works properly and you
can have information readily available when a student submits a
ticket.

-kevin