Rt-mailgate rejects incoming email

I have a new install of RT 3.8.9 running on SLES11, and I cannot get incoming emails to update/create tickets. I’m using postfix for email routing. Outgoing mail works (all mail routed to an Exchange smarthost). I put a debug switch in my aliases file and the error generated by an incoming email is:

[error] Couldn’t find sender’s address (/opt/rt3/bin/…/lib/RT/Interface/Email/Auth/MailFrom/pm:67)
[error] Could not record email: Could not load a valid user (/opt/rt3/share/html/REST/1.0/noAuth/mail-gateway:75)

From what I understand, this error means that postfix received the email properly and passed it to rt-mailgate, which failed to parse a valid FROM email address from the headers thus rejecting the message.

The only instance I’ve found of this error happing was resolved by adding “CreateTicket” permissions to the “Everyone” group in RT - I’ve done this to no avail.

Linux version: 2.6.32.27-0.2-default
Perl version: 5.10.0 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Non-standard configurations:

Default http site redirects to https

Additional module RT::Authen::ExternalAuth 0.08_01 - authenticates via LDAP against Active Directory - is working properly.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and privileged material. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you receive this material/information in error, please contact the sender and destroy the material/information.

Email is not a secure form of communication and should not be used to transmit personal or confidential information such as account numbers, balance information, or wire transfer requests. The PrivateBank is not responsible for the security of sensitive information received by email.

Just a question… had the user authenticated at least once?
If they aren’t in the db or imported from ldap, there’s no mention of
them in the RT users db hence incoming e-mails can’t create tickets.

GiuseppeOn 04/03/11 17:46, Brandon Olszewski wrote:

I have a new install of RT 3.8.9 running on SLES11, and I cannot get
incoming emails to update/create tickets. I’m using postfix for email
routing. Outgoing mail works (all mail routed to an Exchange
smarthost). I put a debug switch in my aliases file and the error
generated by an incoming email is:

[error] Couldn’t find sender’s address
(/opt/rt3/bin/…/lib/RT/Interface/Email/Auth/MailFrom/pm:67)

[error] Could not record email: Could not load a valid user
(/opt/rt3/share/html/REST/1.0/noAuth/mail-gateway:75)

From what I understand, this error means that postfix received the
email properly and passed it to rt-mailgate, which failed to parse a
valid FROM email address from the headers thus rejecting the message.

The only instance I’ve found of this error happing was resolved by
adding “CreateTicket” permissions to the “Everyone” group in RT –
I’ve done this to no avail.

Additional module RT::Authen::ExternalAuth 0.08_01 – authenticates
via LDAP against Active Directory – is working properly.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and privileged
material. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. If you receive this material/information in error, please
contact the sender and destroy the material/information.

Email is not a secure form of communication and should not be used to
transmit personal or confidential information such as account numbers,
balance information, or wire transfer requests. The PrivateBank is not
responsible for the security of sensitive information received by email.

Giuseppe Sollazzo
Senior Systems Analyst
Computing Services
Information Services
St. George’s, University Of London
Cranmer Terrace
London SW17 0RE

Email: gsollazz@sgul.ac.uk
Direct Dial: +44 20 8725 5160
Fax: +44 20 8725 3583

If they aren’t in the db or imported from ldap, there’s no mention of
them in the RT users db hence incoming e-mails can’t create tickets.

That’s not entirely correct. RT autocreates unprivileged users who send
in email if the Everyone or Unprivileged system groups have the
appropriate rights (CreateTicket or Comment/ReplyToTicket).

Thomas

Yes - the user has authenticated a number of times, and opened a ticket via the web interface. I did verify that the proper email address was imported from AD to the RT database.From: Giuseppe Sollazzo [mailto:gsollazz@sgul.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 11:57 AM
To: Brandon Olszewski
Cc: rt-users@lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] rt-mailgate rejects incoming email

If they aren’t in the db or imported from ldap, there’s no mention of them in the RT users db hence incoming e-mails can’t create tickets.

Giuseppe

I have a new install of RT 3.8.9 running on SLES11, and I cannot get incoming emails to update/create tickets. I’m using postfix for email routing. Outgoing mail works (all mail routed to an Exchange smarthost). I put a debug switch in my aliases file and the error generated by an incoming email is:

[error] Couldn’t find sender’s address (/opt/rt3/bin/…/lib/RT/Interface/Email/Auth/MailFrom/pm:67)
[error] Could not record email: Could not load a valid user (/opt/rt3/share/html/REST/1.0/noAuth/mail-gateway:75)

From what I understand, this error means that postfix received the email properly and passed it to rt-mailgate, which failed to parse a valid FROM email address from the headers thus rejecting the message.

The only instance I’ve found of this error happing was resolved by adding “CreateTicket” permissions to the “Everyone” group in RT - I’ve done this to no avail.

Additional module RT::Authen::ExternalAuth 0.08_01 - authenticates via LDAP against Active Directory - is working properly.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and privileged material. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you receive this material/information in error, please contact the sender and destroy the material/information.

Email is not a secure form of communication and should not be used to transmit personal or confidential information such as account numbers, balance information, or wire transfer requests. The PrivateBank is not responsible for the security of sensitive information received by email.

Giuseppe Sollazzo

Senior Systems Analyst

Computing Services

Information Services

St. George’s, University Of London

Cranmer Terrace

London SW17 0RE

Email: gsollazz@sgul.ac.ukmailto:gsollazz@sgul.ac.uk

Direct Dial: +44 20 8725 5160

Fax: +44 20 8725 3583