RT-Extension-CommandByMail 3.0.0, RT 4.4.1, "Permission Denied" errors

I have a fresh new install of RT 4.4.1. I’ve installed the latest version (3.0.0) of RT-Extension-CommandByMail. New tickets are created by email and can be successfully managed via the web interface. Commands sent in email are not executed, garnering a Permission Denied error in the log.

I’ve added the following to my RT_SiteConfig.pm:

# enable commands by email
Plugin('RT::Extension::CommandByMail');
Set(@MailPlugins, qw(Auth::MailFrom Action::CommandByMail));

(No, I did not enable the group permission argument.)

I see both Auth::MailFrom and Action::CommandsByMail listed under MailPlugins and RT::Extension::CommandByMail under Plugins in rt/Admin/Tools/Configuration.html.

After an email command is attempted I see the following in /opt/rt4/var/log/rt.log:

[31212] [Thu Mar 16 21:52:18 2017] [warning]: Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /opt/rt4/local/plugins/RT-Extension-CommandByMail/lib/RT/Extension/CommandByMail.pm line 625. (/opt/rt4/local/plugins/RT-Extension-CommandByMail/lib/RT/Extension/CommandByMail.pm:625)
[31212] [Thu Mar 16 21:52:18 2017] [warning]: Failed command 'Status: stalled'
Error message: You can't change status from '' to 'stalled'.

Failed command 'Owner: (redacted)'
Error message: Permission Denied (/opt/rt4/local/plugins/RT-Extension-CommandByMail/lib/RT/Extension/CommandByMail.pm:919)
[31212] [Thu Mar 16 21:52:18 2017] [crit]: Extended mailgate error: Failed command 'Status: stalled'
Error message: You can't change status from '' to 'stalled'.

Failed command 'Owner: (redacted)'
Error message: Permission Denied (/opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:701)

The code segment of CommandsByMail.pm that is generating the warning is:

foreach my $attribute (grep $_ eq 'Status', @REGULAR_ATTRIBUTES) { next unless defined $cmds{ lc $attribute }; next if $ticket_as_user->$attribute() eq $cmds{ lc $attribute };
        _SetAttribute(
            $ticket_as_user,        $attribute,
            lc $cmds{ lc $attribute }, \%results
        );
    }

With line 625 being the “next if” line.

The error line in Email.pm is the log call.

I’ve tried submitting email as the exact name/email of one of the users in the queue the ticket is in but get exactly the same error.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I have to convince a co-worker to use RT instead of just email and this is one of his must-haves.

thanks,
nomad