RT 3.4.5 not showing transactions

Hello,

After searching the lists history and googling a lot, I turn to
your wisdom that maybe can help us solve an infrequent
and misterious problem that’s generating lots critisicm from
our manager towards RT’s credibility.

We’ve been using RT since 2001, now running RT 3.4.5 with
Apache MySQL 4.1.22 over FreeBSD-6.2, installed via
FreeBSD ports.

We are experiencing a problem (bug?) where some tickets
transactions aren’t displayed on the web interface, although
they can be read on mail sent by RT to admins and watchers.

One recent problem was an email sent by a Thunderbird 1.5.0.9
(Linux) where the ticket history is shown completely blank, but the
received email was readable.

Another case was an email message (sent by another Thunderbird
(don’t know which version, running on Windows XP) sent with
attached files (.XLS spreadsheet).

This ticket I managed to confirm that the email text and attachment
were recorded in the database, using the RT CLI tool. But the ticket
content (text) is not shown on the web interface.

Maybe this is some kind of renderization or encoding (MIME, 8bit,
8-bit etc.) problem? Could be an issue with MySQL encoding
configuration?

Is there a way to verify / confirm encoding problems?
What else do you suggest me to confirm what could the problem?

The only log of the server about the problem is this, that is
registered everytime some client opens a problematic ticket.

[Wed Jul 11 16:13:39 2007] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" (pid 55127) terminated due to
uncaught signal ‘11’ (Segmentation fault)

For some unknown reason we’ve never been sucessful on
having RT logging work on our servers (could be a problem
with the platform / port?) so, I am unable to see detailed info
about what’s RT doing.

Relevant info:
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE | apache+mod_ssl-1.3.37+2.8.28 | mysql-server-4.1.22
| rt-3.4.5 | fcgi-devkit-2.4.0 | mod_fastcgi-2.4.2_1 | p5-CGI.pm-3.25,1
| p5-FastCGI-0.67

Thanks in advance,

Alex

(…)
The only log of the server about the problem is this, that is
registered everytime some client opens a problematic ticket.

[Wed Jul 11 16:13:39 2007] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" (pid 55127)
terminated due to uncaught signal ‘11’ (Segmentation fault)

Hello,

Got more information about the issue. I’ve installed RT 3.6.3
in another environment running mysql-5.0.41 and made a copy
of our production RT database to this environment.

In this test environment, I’ve got these error messages from
the apache’s virtual server:

[Tue Jul 10 20:25:49 2007] [error] [client 200.143.192.54] FastCGI: server
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" stderr: Use of uninitialized
value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm
line 1637.

[Wed Jul 11 20:57:17 2007] [error] [client 200.143.192.54] FastCGI: server
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" stderr: Use of uninitialized
value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm
line 1390.

[Wed Jul 11 20:58:03 2007] [error] [client 200.143.192.54] FastCGI: server
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" stderr: Use of uninitialized
value in string ne at /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm line
1481.

All errors lead to different subroutines. Two of them seem identical
error messages, but each one points to different parts of the RT’s
perl module /usr/local/rt3/lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm

Lab environment installed packages:

apache-1.3.37_2
mod_perl-1.30
mysql-client-5.0.41
mysql-server-5.0.41
p5-DBD-mysql-4.005
p5-DBI-1.53
p5-Devel-Symdump-2.0604
p5-Error-0.17.008
p5-FastCGI-0.67
p5-GD-2.35
p5-GD-Graph-1.43.08
p5-MIME-Tools-5.420,2
p5-Scalar-List-Utils-1.19,1
p5-Storable-2.15
p5-Term-ReadKey-2.30
p5-Test-Harness-2.64
p5-Test-Simple-0.66
p5-Time-HiRes-1.9703,1
perl-5.8.8

Thanks for any tips,

Alex