Requests in mySQL, but not showing up in RT web UI?


#1

Hi all,

I’m running RT-1.0.4, with mySQL-3.22. I seem to be experiencing a bizarre
phenomenon of entering cases into RT, receiving the e-mail generated by RT,
but then not being able to view them in the web interface.

If I enter the specific number into the “Display Request #” field and click
the button, I get all the information, but I need to know the case number,
since they’re not showing up in the request queue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Seeya,
Paul
I’m in shape, my shape just happens to be pear!

 If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

#2

| If I enter the specific number into the “Display Request #” field and
| click the button, I get all the information, but I need to know the case
| number, since they’re not showing up in the request queue.
±–>8

Make sure you select “All” or “Done” as the status?

brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
carnegie mellon university [“better check the oblivious first” -ke6sls]


#3

In a message dated: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:50:40 EDT
"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" said:>On 10/16/00 10:20:51 -0400, Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com wrote:

±----
| If I enter the specific number into the “Display Request #” field and
| click the button, I get all the information, but I need to know the case
| number, since they’re not showing up in the request queue.
±–>8

Make sure you select “All” or “Done” as the status?

I did that that, they still weren’t showing up. I think the problem is that
the requests were created with no initial status. In the database tables,
they existed, but the status field was empty. As soon as I set them to open,
they started showing up.

I think this occured because I mucked with the forms.pm code. I wanted to
remove the ability to set an initial priority or status on the request. In
doing so, I should have set the initial status to open.

So, somewhere in the code for displaying the queue, there must be something
that checks to see if there’s been a status set to some value. If status has
no value, then it’s not displayed.

This could be either a bug or feature depending upon your perspective :slight_smile:
But since I mucked with the code, I’m responsible :slight_smile:

I would like to see some of these as options though, there are certain things
I would like to be able to configure, such as priority ranges (1-5, not 0-99),
whether or not people can set initial priorities and status, etc.

Hopefully 2.0 will have these and many other great things :slight_smile: I look forward
to that release!

Thanks,
Seeya,
Paul
I’m in shape, my shape just happens to be pear!

 If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!