New install of RT3.8.8 - 64bit?

I’m about to build a new RT3, latest greatest 3.8.8. My plan is to use CentOS 5.4. Is there any advantage (disadvantage?) to using 64bit OS? I can use 32bit or 64bit, but want to use whatever would be best and/or least problematic.

Thanks!

If life gives you lemons, keep them-- because hey… free lemons.

32bit systems cannot address more than 4GB memory so go with 64bit so you don’t find yourself needing to reinstall the O.S in a year or 2 because you need more RAM. IMHO of course.

Regards

Ronald-----Original Message-----
Sender: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:09:45
To: rt-users@bestpractical.com
Subject: [rt-users] New install of RT3.8.8 - 64bit?

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Not really true, PAE has been in since 2.2.23 and allows addressing up to 64GB of RAM in Linux in a 32 bit system…From: rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com [rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of ronald.higgins@gmail.com [ronald.higgins@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:22 PM
To: Joseph Spenner; rt-users-bounces@lists.bestpractical.com; rt-users@bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] New install of RT3.8.8 - 64bit?

32bit systems cannot address more than 4GB memory so go with 64bit so you don’t find yourself needing to reinstall the O.S in a year or 2 because you need more RAM. IMHO of course.

Regards

Ronald

Not really true, PAE has been in since 2.2.23 and allows addressing up to 64GB of RAM in Linux in a 32 bit system…

Historically, though, MySQL does really poorly when given more than 4G
of ram on a 32 bit system.