Installing rt2 on Fedora Core 6

I’m having awful trouble installing rt2 on Fedora Core 6:

Server version: Apache/2.2.6 (Unix)
Server built: Sep 18 2007 11:26:13
[root@linuxbox ~]# uname -a
Linux linuxbox 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 #1 SMP Wed Nov 21 13:44:07 EST 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root@linuxbox ~]# perl --version

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

I was getting these errors in /var/log/httpd/error_log:

Can’t locate object method “server” via package “Apache” at /usr/local/rt2/bin/webmux.pl line 94.

Which I put down to httpd running as ‘apache’ rather than root, so I commented out a couple of lines in webmux.pl. Then
I got:

Can’t locate object method “header_in” via package “Apache2::RequestRec”

Which appeared to be because:

my %cookies = parse CGI::Cookie($r->header_in(‘Cookie’));

Should have read

my %cookies = parse CGI::Cookie($r->headers_in(‘Cookie’));

(This seemed to make sense after reading the Apache::RequestRec man page.

Why am I bothering with rt2 on FC6? It’s because we have an old rt2 database. I’d like to be able to view it before
thinking about exporting it to rt3 or another environment. The original hardware this rt2 ran on was decommissioned, and
is long gone.

I’m just not clever enough with Perl/C to understand how this stuff knits together. I think that one possibility is that
the API for some of the required modules has changed over time from rt2 to rt3. Why else would header_in() in
Apache::RequestRec become headers_in()?

TIA

I’m having awful trouble installing rt2 on Fedora Core 6:
[snip]
Why am I bothering with rt2 on FC6? It’s because we have an old rt2
database. I’d like to be able to view it before thinking about exporting
it to rt3 or another environment. The original hardware this rt2 ran on
was decommissioned, and is long gone.

I’m just not clever enough with Perl/C to understand how this stuff knits
together. I think that one possibility is that the API for some of the
required modules has changed over time from rt2 to rt3. Why else would
header_in() in Apache::RequestRec become headers_in()?

I’d highly recommend that you switch to CentOS 3 or Debian old stable if
you’re planning on using rt2 at all. The Perl modules and C environment in FC6
are far newer than the modules that rt2 needs, which will not work as you’ve
discovered. If you’re only doing this to view the data before a migration to
rt3 (which I definitely recommend) why not just import the DB tables into
MySQL and then review the data using something like MySQLcc?

Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Manager - Information Technology Operations,
Minerva Networks Inc.
Cell: (650) 704-6633
Office: (408) 240-1239

Why am I bothering with rt2 on FC6? It’s because we have an old rt2 database. I’d like to be able to view it before thinking about exporting it to rt3 or another environment. The original hardware this rt2 ran on was decommissioned, and is long gone.

As Gary said, go with CentOS 3 you should be able to get iso’s and you will save yourself a world of headaches.

Also note that you need to get the RT module dependencies specific to the version of RT 2.0.X that you are running. The backpan.perl.org website will likely be highly useful to use for this need. My experience has been that if you use any new modules you take the considerable risk of not actually being able to export your data properly.

You will also want to use the rt2 to rt3 migration tools RT-Extension-RT2toRT3-1.26 - This tool migrates your RT2 instance to an RT 3.x instance - metacpan.org

Why am I bothering with rt2 on FC6? It’s because we have an old rt2 database. I’d like to be able to view it before thinking about exporting it to rt3 or another environment. The original hardware this rt2 ran on was decommissioned, and is long gone.

As Gary said, go with CentOS 3 you should be able to get iso’s and you will save yourself a world of headaches.

Also note that you need to get the RT module dependencies specific to the version of RT 2.0.X that you are running. The backpan.perl.org website will likely be highly useful to use for this need. My experience has been that if you use any new modules you take the considerable risk of not actually being able to export your data properly.

You will also want to use the rt2 to rt3 migration tools RT-Extension-RT2toRT3-1.26 - This tool migrates your RT2 instance to an RT 3.x instance - metacpan.org

In addition, you might find the patches at

helpful if you’re migrating to RT3.8.

(note that these haven’t been fully reviewed by Best Practical; use
at your own risk).

Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team
Computing Services, University of Oxford

signature.asc (197 Bytes)