Having RT ignore internal email not associated with a ticket

Hi all,

We are getting ready to bring RT live and are passing the final hurdles.

One issue that I am working through is the following. We are adding RT to
already existing mail aliases which our support engineers currently monitor
for incoming customer requests. The problem is they also sometimes use
these aliases for internal communication unrelated to a specific ticket. I
was hoping to have RT ignore these internal emails not related to a ticket.

From what I’ve seen in past posts I may be out of luck but just thought I’d
see if someone had any ideas.

Thanks in advace,

Paul

Paul Fincher
Senior Engineering Support Engineer
Green Hills Software - http://www.ghs.com blocked::http://www.ghs.com/
34125 US Hwy 19 North Suite 100
Palm Harbor, FL 34684
(727) 781-4909
This e-mail may contain Green Hills Software Proprietary and Confidential
information, and is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. If you
have received this message in error, or are not a named recipient(s), you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail
message from your computer. Thank you.

Hi all, We are getting ready to bring RT live and are passing the final hurdles. One issue that I am working through is the following. We are adding RT to already existing mail aliases which our support engineers currently monitor for incoming customer requests. The problem is they also sometimes use these aliases for internal communication unrelated to a specific ticket. I was hoping to have RT ignore these internal emails not related to a ticket. From what I’ve seen in past posts I may be out of luck but just thought I’d see if someone had any ideas. Thanks in advace,Paul -------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Fincher
Senior Engineering Support Engineer

When the original email is sent to create a ticket, it looks like any other email. Subsequent tickets would contain a special subject unique to RT. But that original email would always get into RT, and RT would not be able to determine if that email was intended for RT or not.However, you could write a perl interceptor which sits between RT and sendmail/postfix (ie: directly in the /etc/aliases file) which looks for a certain string of characters. If the email does not contain this string, it passes it into RT; if the email does contain this string, it drops it. So, if the email contained something like: RT-IGNORE, then the perl script could ignore that message without piping it into RT.You would just need to make sure people include that RT-IGNORE in the body or the subject if RT is to ignore it.Maybe RT already has something in place to do this? Not sure…

Hi all,

We are getting ready to bring RT live and are passing the final hurdles.  One issue that I

am working through is the following. We are adding RT to already existing mail aliases which
our support engineers currently monitor for incoming customer requests. The problem is they
also sometimes use these aliases for internal communication unrelated to a specific ticket.
I was hoping to have RT ignore these internal emails not related to a ticket. From what I’ve
seen in past posts I may be out of luck but just thought I’d see if someone had any ideas.

How do you intend to differentiate between “not related to a ticket”
and “intended to create a new ticket” since emails sent to rt-mailgate
without a subject tag create new tickets in the given queue (assuming
permissions are configured to allow it).

You’ll need to filter before rt-mailgate gets the email

-kevin