Filter Out Distro Lists

As usual I am trying to find a technical solution to cover for my users laziness.

My users continually send email to my RT address but also include large distro lists. Obviously this will make quite a mess in people’s inbox’s.

Any suggestions on how to filter/block/parse/remove the Distro lists from RT request? I tried looking at procmail, but didn’t see an obvious solution for stripping out the distro@mail.com address from the request while leaving the request intact.

-Patrick

As usual I am trying to find a technical solution to cover for my users laziness.

My users continually send email to my RT address but also include large distro lists. Obviously this will make quite a mess in people’s inbox’s.

Any suggestions on how to filter/block/parse/remove the Distro lists from RT request? I tried looking at procmail, but didn’t see an obvious solution for stripping out the distro@mail.com address from the request while leaving the request intact.

You can silently discard outgoing emails to those lists with your mta
(that’s what I do with postfix for example to avoid loops with “sympa”).

Excellent idea. Using the /etc/mail/access I can reject messages. Only problem is that using REJECT or ERROR I will get

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

XXX - MIS on 5/29/2008 4:10 PM
        The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason.  Check the address and try again.  If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
        < rt.xxx.com #5.0.0 SMTP; 550 5.0.0 <MIS@xxx.com>... Stop including distro lists!>

If I use DISCARD it discards the entire RT reply. Any idea’s on how to make it quiet?

-Patrick