Downgrade from 5.0.1 to 4.4.4

I’m about to finalize an update from RT 4.4.4 to 5.0.1.
Now i’m just in the test phase but one thing is worrying me.

If something go wrong in the future, is that possible to make an downgrade from 5.0.1 to 4.4.4?
There is some kind of script or module that helps me mainly in the database RT version?

Thanks!

Probably the easiest/safest thing is to take a backup of your 4.4.4 database and install directories before you do the upgrade. I think once you’ve moved up a major version (4.x → 5.x) going backwards is going to be way more difficult that just reinstalling from the backups.

No, you are not going to be able to downgrade from RT4 to RT5. Thankfully it should not be necessary.

You can/should copy your RT 4 database then upgrade the copy and not the original.
You should also be installing RT 5 in a fresh directory and not on top of your existing RT 4.

It is possible to run RT 4 and RT 5 side by side, on the same server. But each one needs its own version of the database. And there may be other complexities related to perl and perl modules.

I recommend installing a fresh instance of RT 5 in a new VM.

And of course, make sure you have a good backup before you do any of these things.