Does enabling Full Text search disable searching Subjects from the Simple Search box?

I am running 4.2.11

I have install mariadb 10.0

I have enabled native mySQL full text search

It works fine - EXCEPT: it seems that I can have Full Text -or- Subject from the Simple Search box, but not both?

If I disable the full text from the RT_Site_config then the simple search box searches subjects but not attachments

If I enable the full text from the RT_Site_config then the simple search box searches attachments but not subjects

I don’t know how to proceed, this is not going to go over well…

I also have a custom field my users insisted on that will carry text — can I index and search more than one table (attachments) ?

thanks
al;

2 Likes

Bumping this since I think I have the same problem in 5.0.3 on Postgres with fulltext indexing enabled.

I notice that if I do a simple search for text which only appears in a ticket’s subject (and not in content), the ticket is not returned as a result. This seems to be because the simple search is parsed as Content LIKE 'search' AND Content LIKE 'term', and because Content does not include the subject (unless perhaps it has been indexed from a received email).

Seems like the correct behavior would be for a simple search to always return results from Subject regardless of whether fulltext indexing is enabled, and to also return results from Content when fulltext indexing is enabled.

Yes, currently with full-text search enabled, the search box will default to just searching content. We plan to modify this in a future release to also search the subject. For now, you can create a search in the Query Builder to cover both, like Content LIKE 'foo' OR Subject LIKE 'foo'.

1 Like

Cool, good to know this is expected behavior. +1 to that feature enhancement!

I have used:

subject:‘word1 word2’

to search the subject for the words. Other words search the attachments.

Regards,
Ken

I’ve an issue with the full-text search functionality in my RT (Request Tracker) installation, and I could really use some guidance. I’m running version 4.2.11 and have installed MariaDB 10.0. I have successfully enabled native MySQL full-text search, which works fine. I’m facing a challenge where it seems that I can only search either Full Text or Subject from the Simple Search box, but not both simultaneously. If I disable the full text option in the RT_Site_config, the Simple Search box can search subjects but not attachments.