Crystal Reports

Has anyone successfully used Crystal Reports with their RT installation? I
don’t know much about it myself so I’m curious about how it would interface.
Would it have to be run separately or is there a way to include it in the
reports interface?

We have a new license here at work and I’ve been asked to find out about its
interaction with RT.

Mathew

The problem is that you would have to build the intelligence
of the RT API into Crystal. The relations between some of
the RT tables and not straightforward. Also crytsal would
not enforce RT’s permissions. You would be better off to
do the reporting in Perl and output to HTML, PDF, or
something understood by a preferred formatting tool.

-ToddOn Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:05:51PM -0500, Mathew Snyder wrote:

Has anyone successfully used Crystal Reports with their RT installation? I
don’t know much about it myself so I’m curious about how it would interface.
Would it have to be run separately or is there a way to include it in the
reports interface?

We have a new license here at work and I’ve been asked to find out about its
interaction with RT.

Mathew


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

Or simply have CR connect directly to the database and run the reports itself, yes?

Mathew

Todd Chapman wrote:

Well kind of No, as Todd suggested the relationship within the RT tables
are n’t straight forward to do joins/Sql queries easily you’ll need some
sort of Perl api at the top, I know little about CR , can it talk to/via
Perl ??..
Another approach (One I have been pondering) is to create new tables
within RT to collect Stats type data , the tables get populated via
croned perl scripts, then get the reporting tool (CR or any other to
query these Stats table).

Regards;
Roy

Mathew Snyder wrote:

Hello,

I was also looking at using Crystal Reports with RT, is it any easier or are
there any guides that show you how to do this?

Thank you

Eric

Roy El-Hames wrote:

Well kind of No, as Todd suggested the relationship within the RT tables
are n’t straight forward to do joins/Sql queries easily you’ll need some
sort of Perl api at the top, I know little about CR , can it talk to/via
Perl ??..
Another approach (One I have been pondering) is to create new tables
within RT to collect Stats type data , the tables get populated via
croned perl scripts, then get the reporting tool (CR or any other to
query these Stats table).

Regards;
Roy

Mathew Snyder wrote:

Or simply have CR connect directly to the database and run the reports
itself, yes?

Mathew

Todd Chapman wrote:

The problem is that you would have to build the intelligence
of the RT API into Crystal. The relations between some of
the RT tables and not straightforward. Also crytsal would
not enforce RT’s permissions. You would be better off to
do the reporting in Perl and output to HTML, PDF, or
something understood by a preferred formatting tool.

-Todd

Has anyone successfully used Crystal Reports with their RT
installation? I
don’t know much about it myself so I’m curious about how it would
interface.
Would it have to be run separately or is there a way to include it in
the
reports interface?

We have a new license here at work and I’ve been asked to find out
about its
interaction with RT.

Mathew


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com


http://lists.bestpractical.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rt-users

Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
Commercial support: sales@bestpractical.com

Discover RT’s hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O’Reilly Media.
Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Crystal-Reports-tp8172749p22206625.html