Creativity and expertise with Assets and lifecycles

Greetings!

I’ve set up Assets on a test server for our staff to evaluate. They like it very much so far, but they’ve got one need I haven’t yet figured out how to meet with Assets. I feel like I’ve read through documentation, wiki, and mail archives, and I don’t think I’ve found my answer.

Our staff want to use Assets to track who has a shareable resource. The resource might be in inventory, or checked out to a patron. The workflow they want needs to be linear, and ideally a single-screen process. They’ll want to change “held-by” for a resource, and change the item’s lifecycle status (from on-shelf to checked-out).

I think we’re only going to be able to make this workflow work for them if we can use a Scrip with a custom action. Existing documentation regarding this seems to be written all from a Tickets perspective, leaving me feeling a bit at sea.

So, am I wrong to think Assets might be able to meet our need? Or am I thinking of this the wrong way? I thought of trying to use a Comment or Respond action on an asset, but those features don’t seem to exist (I’ve tried configuring them like tickets, but they don’t seem to work). Would I be smarter to create a linked ticket for each “check-out”/“check-in”?

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks much,
Peter

Peter Zillmann
Systems & Networking Associate
Information Services
Kalamazoo College
1200 Academy Street
Kalamazoo, MI, 49006
Peter.Zillmann@kzoo.edu