Charset for logs

Ever since we started to use RT (before 3.8.7, now 4.0.4), it doesn’t seem to use the correct charset for logging. All norwegian characters (æøå) becomes: �. I can see this because we have scrips that contain norwegian characters, and every time a scrip is launched, it is logged to the Apache log. Today I also noticed that if I subscribe to a dashboard with norwegian characters in its name, the subject of the email sent out also have this problem (� instead of æ, ø or å). The email body however, has the correct charset. There is no charset problems in the web UI. How can this be fixed?
Thanks

Ever since we started to use RT (before 3.8.7, now 4.0.4), it doesn’t seem to use the correct
charset for logging. All norwegian characters (aeo/aa) becomes: **. I can see this because we
have scrips that contain norwegian characters, and every time a scrip is launched, it is
logged to the Apache log.

How are you logging, Syslog, Screen, File? RT has several different ways
to log and it’s impossible to test without knowing.

Today I also noticed that if I subscribe to a dashboard with
norwegian characters in its name, the subject of the email sent out also have this problem (**
instead of ae, o/ or aa). The email body however, has the correct charset. There is no charset
problems in the web UI. How can this be fixed?

Please provide a raw Subject: line so we can see what’s going on.

RT is installed from the Ubuntu repository, and the installation seems to log to /var/log/syslog and /var/log/apache2/error.log. However, I just discovered that it is only the Apache log that has charset problems. The syslog shows all characters correctly. Also, the Apache log logs in GMT while the syslog logs in the correct timezone, but I guess that is how it’s supposed to be.
I’m not quite sure what you mean by raw subject line.
This is what shows up in Outlooks internet headers: Alle nye og ?pne sakerThis is how the subject line looks in Outlook: Alle nye og �pne saker jeg eier
The question mark should be the character “å”, so the word should be "åpne"
The message body uses the correct charset (I can see that UTF-8 is specified in the HTML).
Thanks

RT is installed from the Ubuntu repository, and the installation seems to log to
/var/log/syslog and /var/log/apache2/error.log. However, I just discovered that it is only the
Apache log that has charset problems. The syslog shows all characters correctly. Also, the
Apache log logs in GMT while the syslog logs in the correct timezone, but I guess that is how
it’s supposed to be.

RT prints logs in GMT, when those pass through syslog, syslog will add
an additional timestamp. Apache however keeps the RT timestamps.
Is it just RT’s messages in the apache logs that are corrupt, or is
something as simple as a request to /Test/latin1pagename.html
corrupted in the access/error log? RT should be pushing out UTF-8 but
I’m not sure if RT is doing something wrong or if apache is corrupting
it.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by raw subject line.
This is what shows up in Outlooks internet headers: Alle nye og ?pne saker
This is how the subject line looks in Outlook: Alle nye og **pne saker jeg eier
The question mark should be the character “aa”, so the word should be "aapne"
The message body uses the correct charset (I can see that UTF-8 is specified in the HTML).

I mean the raw on-disk header. Subject: lines are encoded if they
contain UTF-8, so something like this:
If you have an email that is consistently corrupted when passing
through RT, if you can capture a raw version of the email (so not the
.msg file from Outlook, but something caught further upstream, before
it gets to rt-mailgate preferably) please zip it up and send it into
the RT bug tracker, along with your System Configuration page which
contains a ton of information such as perl module versions, some of
which are known-bad.

-kevin

If I create an HTML-file with the name æøå.html, and access it through Apache, the access log says “GET /%C3%A6%C3%B8%C3%A5.html”. It seems to URL-encode it or something. If I then delete the HTML file an try to access it, the error log says “File does not exist: /var/www/\xc3\xa6\xc3\xb8\xc3\xa5.html”. Not at all readable either… Maybe it’s Apache’s fault.
I don’t know how I can capture the raw e-mails that RT sends out for dashboard subscriptions. They are sent by RT through Postfix on the local server. Please tell me if you know how.