Can't reinstall: CORE missing dependencies: File::ShareDir...MISSING

I upgraded my version of Ubuntu server to 8.0.4 because I was having some
trouble after upgrading to RT 3.8.1. I assumed that the problems had
something to do with my apache configuration or the fact that I was running
out of date software.

So, I attempted an upgrade of Ubuntu. I’m a Linux newbie. After the upgrade,
I couldn’t get Apache to start at all. I found that if I commented out the
line about RT (the include in the Apache config) Apache started fine and all
other sites were working great.

So, I decided I would reinstall RT. I removed my /opt/rt3.8/ directory and
went all the way back to the install steps. I ran the tar command to get the
file to /tmp/. I then cd to /tmp/rt3-8-1/ and run ‘sudo ./configure
–prefix=/opt/rt3.8/ --enable-gd’. Then I run ‘sudo make testdeps’. It tells
me ‘File::ShareDir…MISSING’. So, I run ‘sudo make fixdeps’ and it tells me
all dependencies found. Then I could get into an endless loop - because
testdeps still says it’s missing.

I figured I would go ahead and just run ‘sudo make install’ but it bombs
with the same error as above: CORE missing dependencies:
File::ShareDir…MISSING. It’s worth mentioning that I looked and the
directory /opt/rt3.8/ is not being created (I don’t know if that matters or
not).

Anyway, I’ve taken an annoyance and managed to make a critical error out of
it - however, I’ve been wanting to understand Linux and RT better - so maybe
this is a blessing in disguise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

Chris Nelson wrote:

I upgraded my version of Ubuntu server to 8.0.4 because I was having
some trouble after upgrading to RT 3.8.1. http://3.8.1. I assumed
that the problems had something to do with my apache configuration or
the fact that I was running out of date software.

So, I attempted an upgrade of Ubuntu. I’m a Linux newbie. After the
upgrade, I couldn’t get Apache to start at all. I found that if I
commented out the line about RT (the include in the Apache config)
Apache started fine and all other sites were working great.

So, I decided I would reinstall RT. I removed my /opt/rt3.8/ directory
and went all the way back to the install steps. I ran the tar command
to get the file to /tmp/. I then cd to /tmp/rt3-8-1/ and run ‘sudo
./configure --prefix=/opt/rt3.8/ --enable-gd’. Then I run ‘sudo make
testdeps’. It tells me ‘File::ShareDir…MISSING’. So, I run ‘sudo
make fixdeps’ and it tells me all dependencies found. Then I could get
into an endless loop - because testdeps still says it’s missing.

I figured I would go ahead and just run ‘sudo make install’ but it
bombs with the same error as above: CORE missing dependencies:
File::ShareDir…MISSING. It’s worth mentioning that I looked and the
directory /opt/rt3.8/ is not being created (I don’t know if that
matters or not).
In case you haven’t done so run the following:
sudo cpan File::ShareDir

This should install File::ShareDir and resolve the problems of fixdeps.
Running ‘make install’ also runs ‘make fixdeps’ thats why you don’t get
/opt/rt3.8

Regards,

Joop

Joop,

This is what it says when I run that command:

cnelson@myserver:/tmp/rt-3.8.1$ sudo cpan File::ShareDir
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
File::ShareDir is up to date.

However, it still fails on sudo make testdeps.

I run sudo make fixdeps and here are the relevant lines:

  • File::ShareDir…MISSING
  • Install module File::ShareDir
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
    File::ShareDir is up to date.

Thanks so much for your help.

-ChrisOn Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Joop JoopvandeWege@mococo.nl wrote:

Chris Nelson wrote:

I upgraded my version of Ubuntu server to 8.0.4 because I was having some
trouble after upgrading to RT 3.8.1. http://3.8.1. I assumed that the
problems had something to do with my apache configuration or the fact that I
was running out of date software.

So, I attempted an upgrade of Ubuntu. I’m a Linux newbie. After the
upgrade, I couldn’t get Apache to start at all. I found that if I commented
out the line about RT (the include in the Apache config) Apache started fine
and all other sites were working great.

So, I decided I would reinstall RT. I removed my /opt/rt3.8/ directory and
went all the way back to the install steps. I ran the tar command to get the
file to /tmp/. I then cd to /tmp/rt3-8-1/ and run ‘sudo ./configure
–prefix=/opt/rt3.8/ --enable-gd’. Then I run ‘sudo make testdeps’. It tells
me ‘File::ShareDir…MISSING’. So, I run ‘sudo make fixdeps’ and it tells me
all dependencies found. Then I could get into an endless loop - because
testdeps still says it’s missing.

I figured I would go ahead and just run ‘sudo make install’ but it bombs
with the same error as above: CORE missing dependencies:
File::ShareDir…MISSING. It’s worth mentioning that I looked and the
directory /opt/rt3.8/ is not being created (I don’t know if that matters or
not).

In case you haven’t done so run the following:
sudo cpan File::ShareDir

This should install File::ShareDir and resolve the problems of fixdeps.
Running ‘make install’ also runs ‘make fixdeps’ thats why you don’t get
/opt/rt3.8

Regards,

Joop

Chris Nelson wrote:

Joop,

This is what it says when I run that command:

cnelson@myserver:/tmp/rt-3.8.1$ sudo cpan File::ShareDir
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
File::ShareDir is up to date.

However, it still fails on sudo make testdeps.

I run sudo make fixdeps and here are the relevant lines:

* File::ShareDir...MISSING
* Install module File::ShareDir
  CPAN: Storable loaded ok
  Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
  File::ShareDir is up to date.

I have had something like this and it turned out that the version
comparison didn’t work as expected. The solution I then use is:
sudo make -k install

The -k option tells make to continue even if it encounters errors. Just
be sure that the File::ShareDir is the only error else make will happily
continue doing potential a lot of bad things.
Lets see if I can reproduce your problem with a VM running Ubuntu 8.04
which is updated to the latest patches. I’ll let you know what happens.

Joop

Oh. Wait. So, do I do the make -k upgrade from within /tmp/rt-3.8.1/ or do I
need to make the directory for /opt/rt3.8/ first?On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Chris Nelson cnelson@delivra.com wrote:

Awesome. It’s worth pointing out I’m doing make upgrade (so I’m going to do
make -k upgrade).

Thanks!

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Joop JoopvandeWege@mococo.nl wrote:

Chris Nelson wrote:

Joop,

This is what it says when I run that command:

cnelson@myserver:/tmp/rt-3.8.1$ sudo cpan File::ShareDir
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
File::ShareDir is up to date.

However, it still fails on sudo make testdeps.

I run sudo make fixdeps and here are the relevant lines:

  • File::ShareDir…MISSING
  • Install module File::ShareDir
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
    File::ShareDir is up to date.

I have had something like this and it turned out that the version
comparison didn’t work as expected. The solution I then use is:
sudo make -k install

The -k option tells make to continue even if it encounters errors. Just
be sure that the File::ShareDir is the only error else make will happily
continue doing potential a lot of bad things.
Lets see if I can reproduce your problem with a VM running Ubuntu 8.04
which is updated to the latest patches. I’ll let you know what happens.

Joop

Awesome. It’s worth pointing out I’m doing make upgrade (so I’m going to do
make -k upgrade).

Thanks!On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Joop JoopvandeWege@mococo.nl wrote:

Chris Nelson wrote:

Joop,

This is what it says when I run that command:

cnelson@myserver:/tmp/rt-3.8.1$ sudo cpan File::ShareDir
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
File::ShareDir is up to date.

However, it still fails on sudo make testdeps.

I run sudo make fixdeps and here are the relevant lines:

  • File::ShareDir…MISSING
  • Install module File::ShareDir
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /home/cnelson/.cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:02:57 GMT
    File::ShareDir is up to date.

I have had something like this and it turned out that the version
comparison didn’t work as expected. The solution I then use is:
sudo make -k install

The -k option tells make to continue even if it encounters errors. Just be
sure that the File::ShareDir is the only error else make will happily
continue doing potential a lot of bad things.
Lets see if I can reproduce your problem with a VM running Ubuntu 8.04
which is updated to the latest patches. I’ll let you know what happens.

Joop

Chris Nelson wrote:

Oh. Wait. So, do I do the make -k upgrade from within /tmp/rt-3.8.1/
or do I need to make the directory for /opt/rt3.8/ first?
Yes from within /tmp/rt-3.8.1. The directory structure is created as
part of the installation process.

Joop

Ok. The install worked with the -k flag.

However, I had to run:
sudo cp /usr/share/request-tracker3.6/libexec/webmux.pl /opt/rt3.8/bin
and
sudo cp backups/apache/apache2-modperl2.conf /opt/rt3.8/ (which is just a
copy of this file I made RIGHT before I did the upgrade of RT).

Now, when I attempt to go to http://myserver/rt/ I get a 404 error. I’m not
exactly sure where to go next. The apache error log finally doesn’t show any
errors.On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Joop JoopvandeWege@mococo.nl wrote:

Chris Nelson wrote:

Oh. Wait. So, do I do the make -k upgrade from within /tmp/rt-3.8.1/ or do
I need to make the directory for /opt/rt3.8/ first?

Yes from within /tmp/rt-3.8.1. The directory structure is created as part
of the installation process.

Joop

Chris Nelson wrote:

Ok. The install worked with the -k flag.

However, I had to run:
sudo cp /usr/share/request-tracker3.6/libexec/webmux.pl /opt/rt3.8/bin
and
sudo cp backups/apache/apache2-modperl2.conf /opt/rt3.8/ (which is
just a copy of this file I made RIGHT before I did the upgrade of RT).
Please supply your configure line. If you can’t remember what it was try
’history’ in you bash shell or else see config.log in your /tmp/rt-3.8.1
directory

Regards,

Joop

Chris Nelson wrote:

Ok. The install worked with the -k flag.

However, I had to run:
sudo cp /usr/share/request-tracker3.6/libexec/webmux.pl /opt/rt3.8/bin
and
sudo cp backups/apache/apache2-modperl2.conf /opt/rt3.8/ (which is
just a copy of this file I made RIGHT before I did the upgrade of RT).
OK, thats weird. I just installed RT in an Ubuntu-8.04 VM and
installation went without a hitch. Maybe because I install RT from
source and not using a package. I think you have had a packaged RT
installed (/usr/share/request-tracker3.6/…) which also means that your
apache config is pointing to the old installation.
You’ll need to fix your Apache config to point to /opt/rt3.8 and not by
copying files around. You can use your 3.6 rt database but DONT’T forget
to read the upgrade notes, including the mysql updates even if you’re
running mysql-5!

Regards,

Joop