Accented characters problem

Hi,

I’ve got following problem: when receiving email with accented
characters in the Subject,
they’re displayed ok in emails and web interface but in the body of the
ticket, every
accented character is displayed as garbage, even those created in the
web interface.

I’ve the following config. in RT_SiteConfig.pm:

Set($EmailOutputEncoding , ‘iso-8859-1’);

(Already tried the same with ‘ISO-8859-1’ and ‘utf-8’ parameters).

Any suggestions where to look for the fix? Maybe a broken perl module?
I’ve sent a previous email concerning malformed utf-8 characters with log
entries from the Apache server.

TIA,
Alex

Environment: FreeBSD 4.9-stable:

apache+mod_ssl-1.3.29+2.8.16
expat-1.95.6_1
mod_perl-1.28
mysql-client-4.0.16
openssl-0.9.7c
p5-Apache-DBI-0.92
p5-Apache-Session-1.54_2
p5-Authen-SASL-2.06
p5-CGI.pm-3.00,1
p5-Cache-Cache-1.02
p5-Carp-Assert-0.17
p5-Class-Container-0.10
p5-Class-Data-Inheritable-0.02
p5-Class-Fields-0.201
p5-Class-ReturnValue-0.51
p5-DBD-mysql-2.9003
p5-DBI-1.38
p5-DBIx-SearchBuilder-0.94
p5-Devel-StackTrace-1.04
p5-Digest-MD5-2.30
p5-Digest-SHA1-2.06
p5-Error-0.15
p5-Exception-Class-1.16
p5-File-Temp-0.12_1
p5-Font-AFM-1.18
p5-FreezeThaw-0.43
p5-Getopt-Long-2.32
p5-HTML-Format-2.03
p5-HTML-Mason-1.23
p5-HTML-Parser-3.34
p5-HTML-Tagset-3.03
p5-HTML-Tree-3.17
p5-I18N-LangTags-0.29
p5-IO-Socket-SSL-0.92
p5-IO-stringy-2.108
p5-IPC-ShareLite-0.09
p5-Locale-Maketext-1.06
p5-Locale-Maketext-Fuzzy-0.02
p5-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon-0.32
p5-Log-Dispatch-2.03
p5-MIME-Base64-2.21
p5-MIME-Tools-5.411a_3,1
p5-MLDBM-2.01
p5-Mail-Tools-1.60
p5-Net-1.17,1
p5-Net-SSLeay-1.23
p5-Params-Validate-0.69
p5-PodParser-1.24
p5-Regexp-Common-2.113
p5-Storable-2.08
p5-Term-ReadKey-2.21
p5-Test-Harness-2.30
p5-Test-Inline-0.15
p5-Test-Simple-0.47_1
p5-Text-Autoformat-1.12
p5-Text-Quoted-1.3
p5-Text-Reform-1.11
p5-Text-Template-1.44
p5-Text-Wrapper-1.000
p5-Time-HiRes-1.51,1
p5-Time-modules-2003.0211
p5-URI-1.27
p5-WWW-Mechanize-0.61
p5-base-2.01
p5-libapreq-1.3
p5-libwww-5.75

Hi,

I’ve got following problem: when receiving email with accented
characters in the Subject,
they’re displayed ok in emails and web interface but in the body of the
ticket, every
accented character is displayed as garbage, even those created in the
web interface.

Er, if they’re OK in the web interface, what do you mean by “Body of the
ticket”? Also, When reporting bugs in RT, it’s useful for you to report
what version of RT you’ve found the bugs in.

Also, posting a question to rt-users and then posting it to rt-devel
within several hours isn’t likely to get you help any faster. Most
people on rt-devel also read rt-users.

Jesse

Request Tracker — Best Practical Solutions – Trouble Ticketing. Free.

Er, if they’re OK in the web interface, what do you mean by “Body of the
ticket”? Also, When reporting bugs in RT, it’s useful for you to report
what version of RT you’ve found the bugs in.

He probably means something like this:
http://users.utu.fi/jari/tmp/rt.png

That is, in an email message sent in iso-8859-1 character set, with 8bit
content-transfer-encoding, accented characters are garbled. In this case,
on the first line of email body (starting “Hei Jari …”), there’s supposed
to be an ä (ä) and an ö (ö) instead of what seems to be those
characters after they’ve been converted to UTF-8.

In my case this happened almost constantly with Perl 5.8.2, RT 3.0.7_01,
and FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE. When I downgraded Perl to 5.8.1, it doesn’t happen
nearly as often. One thing I noticed today is that emails where this does
happen, have been sent via a Postfix server.

My RT is patched with your change concerning lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm (email
to list and Ronny Pettersen on Nov 21st), but I don’t think that affects
anything, since the emails RT sends out to admincc’s also have the garbled
characters.

    Jari Lehtonen
    Unix & Network Services
    University of Turku, Computing Center